What is the CDQ Young Talent Award?
The CDQ Young Talent Award acknowledges a Master/Bachelor thesis or term paper of outstanding quality advancing the state of the art in corporate data management.
The award is sponsored by the Competence Center Corporate Data Quality (CC CDQ), comprising more than 15 companies from different industries that consider data management critical for the success of their business.
Why should I join the CDQ Young Talent Award competition?
Winning the CDQ Young Talent Award,
- you receive a prize money of 1,000 Swiss Francs,
- you are entitled to attend three training modules in corporate data management, organized by the CDQ Academy and worth more than 6,000 Swiss Francs, free of charge,
- you receive broad acknowledgment of your studies from renowned data management experts,
- you get to know and have the opportunity to network with data management experts from our partner companies (among them Beiersdorf, Bosch, Nestlé, SBB, Siemens, and ZF) as you present the findings of your studies at the CC CDQ Workshop in April 2020.
Winner of the Young Talent Award 2017
"Receiving the Young Talent Award was not only acknowledgment and appreciation of my academic work. It also served as a gateway to the community of practitioners as well as academics both with decades of experience in data management. Participation in the CDQ Academy as part of the award has greatly supported me in advancing and deepening my data management knowledge and additionally has allowed for great networking opportunities across industries."
Lucas Schwarz, MHP Management- und IT-Beratung GmbH
Who may apply for the CDQ Young Talent Award?
Participation is eligible to students:
- who completed their Master/Bachelor thesis or term paper (written in English or German) in 2019
- with a novel contribution to the field of corporate data management
- at a university in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, or Liechtenstein.
Participation is free of charge.
What research disciplines and subjects are welcome?
We welcome Master/Bachelor theses and term papers from different research disciplines, ranging from business and economics to information systems and computer science to law.
Potential subjects may be:
- data-centric business models
- data quality
- data valuation and monetization
- data governance
- open and linked data
- semantic data integration and ontologies
- data architectures
- data value chains
- collaborative data management in business eco-systems
- data-as-a-service and data platforms
How can I participate?
To participate, e-mail the following documents in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- your Master/Bachelor thesis or term paper (English or German version),
- a motivation letter explaining the relevance of your thesis to corporate data management,
- a recommendation from the supervising professor,
- your CV.
What are the criteria my thesis will be evaluated against?
Each master's thesis submitted will be evaluated against these three criteria:
- Scientific excellence: The thesis should build on the scientific state of the art. The research presented in the thesis should be characterized by scientific rigor and the use of an appropriate methodology.
- Innovation potential: The thesis should propose a new way of approaching data management. It should represent a change in the way data management is commonly viewed and stimulate innovation both in research and practice.
- Business relevance: The findings from the thesis should have value for business. The thesis should present new concepts or methods supporting the transformation of businesses into digital, data-driven enterprises.
Who are previous winners of the CDQ Young talent award?
|2017||Lucas Schwarz won the 2017 CDQ Young Talent Award for his master's thesis "Datatization as the Next Frontier of Servitization"|
|2018||Christopher van Dun won the 2018 CDQ Young Talent Award with his Master thesis "Quality-Informed Semi-Automated Event Log Generation"|
Is there a deadline for submission?
Yes, deadline for submission for the 2019 CDQ Young Talent award is January 15, 2020.
Who will evaluate my thesis?
The following highly renowned data management experts from industry and academia will be members of the jury evaluating all master's theses submitted:
Prof. Dr. Christine Legner
Prof. Dr. Helmut Beckmann
Prof. Dr. Boris Otto
Prof. Dr. Gerhard Satzger
Data use and protection information
Each participant will be requested to give their consent regarding their name and the title of their master thesis being published on the CC CDQ website, and on other websites it links to (Twitter, Linkedin, etc.). Any data submitted in order to take part in the CDQ Young Talent Award competition will be considered non-confidential data.
Any personal data revealed to us will be stored and used only for the purpose of organizing the CDQ Young Talent Award. No such data will be forwarded to any third party whatsoever.